Ziggy’s Deep-Fried Ice Cream
The recipe comes from our friends Vanessa Moore and Louisa Clerici, who created The Plymouth Cookbook. The recipe is from Ziggy’s Ice Cream & Food in Plymouth, MA.
- Ice cream of choice
- Corn Flakes cereal, crushed
- Dash of Cinnamon (optional)
- Enough whisked egg whites to roll the ice cream in
- Canola oil for deep frying
- Scoop out a ball of your favorite ice cream. Wearing a pair of vinyl gloves, compact the ice cream in your hands. Pack it so that it is about the size of a baseball.
- Proceed to roll the ice cream ball in crushed corn flakes (whole corn flakes will not stick well). You may add some cinnamon to the corn flakes if you like.
- At this point, you want to roll your corn-flaked ice cream ball in the egg whites, and then repeat this process back into the crushed cinnamon/corn flakes. Your ice cream should be covered in corn flakes with the egg whites acting as a glue.
- Place the ball of ice cream in a freezer for a few hours.
- After a few hours, your ice cream ball should be frozen well, through and through. You now have a ball of your favorite ice cream ready for the fryer.
- Heat your oil up to 360 degrees F in your deep fryer or wok. Take the ice cream ball(s) out of the freezer and fry for just 15 seconds.
- Drain on a paper towel for just a few seconds, and serve.