Thai Basil Eggplant
- 1 large eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4″ slices
- 3 red, green and/or yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 1c chopped onion
- 1/4c hoisin sauce
- 2T reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2t grated fresh ginger
- 2t arrowroot powder
- 1c water
- 1/2c thinly sliced Thai basil*
- 4c hot cooked rice
- 1T sriracha sauce (optional)
- In an extra-large skillet, cook eggplant, peppers, mushrooms and onion over medium heat 6-10 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1-2 T at a time as needed to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl, stir together the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and arrowroot powder, and 1c water. Add to the vegetables. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in half of the basil.
- Serve vegetable mixture over rice. Sprinkle with remaining basic and, if desired, sriracha.
*If you can’t find Thai basil, add about a cup of sliced fennel to the vegetables and use regular basil.
Recipe from Forks over Knives
This entry was posted in Recipes on .